Thursday, April 26, 2012

Angel Oak Tree History

Okay, so my mom asked me about the Angel Oak Tree in the picture I used: So I have added some more pictures but a little history of why I choose the tree:

The angel oak tree trunk symbolizes great strength because the tree is so huge and heavy that it would have to be strong to hold it all together. So the trunk for me represents Alcorn & Bertha Green. The limbs are vibrant, strong and full of life, this to me represent their 10 kids.

The one thing about this tree is that it's a live oak tree, so it's still growing. That symbolizes our family. The Green Family comes from a long line of strong men and women. Each member had a unique gift of love. Growing up I can still remember the Oak that was behind where my mom lives today. We loved playing in this tree. The funny part is that when my mom and her siblings where younger, they played in that exact same tree. History sometimes has a way of repeating itself and that's what I thought about when I saw this tree for the first time. It symbolizes the Green Family strength and the ability to keep growing but keep of us remain close together. Even though the limbs on this tree is extremely heavy; they didn't break they literally started growing on the ground and underground and coming back up. This our family. Even when we are down we can find a way to get back up and family is the key to that growth. I love my family and this Angel Oak Tree is so symbolic of everything I was taught as a kid and learned as a kid.

 So here is a little background on that tree:


The Angel Oak is thought to be one of the oldest living things east of the Mississippi River. Acorns from the Angel Oak have grown to produce authentic direct-offspring trees. Live oaks generally grow out and not up, but the Angel Oak has had plenty of time to do both, standing 65 feet high and with a canopy providing 17,000 square feet of shade. Its limbs, the size of tree trunks themselves, are so large and heavy that some of them rest on the ground (some even drop underground for a few feet and then come back up), a feature common to only the very oldest live oaks. It has survived countless hurricanes, floods, earthquakes and human interference. This tree is located in Charleston, South Carolina.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LIVE OAK MEANS THAT IT DOES NOT LOSE IT'S LEAVES ONCE A SEASON LIKE A DECIDUOUS TREE, HOWEVER, IT IS STILL GROWING. ALTHOUGH SOME MAY SAY THAT "EVERGREEN" IS THE OPPOSITE OF DECIDUOUS, EVERGREEN IS NOT A TRUE DESCRIPTION FOR A LIVE OAK.

About Me

My photo
Lake Village, AR, United States
Green Family Gatherings!!!